Letter to the Editor

The burial of Swindon’s dead continued to be a controversial subject even after the opening of Radnor Street Cemetery in 1881.

The following letter to the editor of the Swindon Advertiser reveals burial practices that should have been eliminated following legislation passed during the previous 30 years.

To the Editor of the Swindon Advertiser

Sir – Can any of your readers tell me how it is that the inhabitants of that part of the parish of Swindon known as Old Swindon do not use the new cemetery, provided at their cost some five years ago? When it was decided to purchase this cemetery it was generally held out as an inducement to ratepayers to part with their money that the parish church burial ground would be closed, except to owners of vaults. Instead of this being the case, however, the churchyard is not only being crowded with bodies, but some of those interred there are being dug up in a most indecent manner to make room for more.

At the funeral of a pauper this week there was exposed beside the grave the skull, vertebra, and other bones of a corpse which previously occupied the same ground, together with the handles and other portions of the coffin furniture. I do not think this is right, or that it is decent. With the spacious cemetery we have it cannot be necessary. I am told that the reason Swindon paupers are buried in the churchyard instead of the cemetery is that the poor law authorities refuse to pay the cemetery fees. If this is so I do hope the Swindon guardians will bestir themselves and put an end to such a state of things.

Yours respectfully,

Parishioner.

Swindon Advertiser, Saturday, June 27, 1885.

The life and times of Richard and Ada Jones

Today’s story has been revealed by an enquiry through the Radnor Street Cemetery Facebook page and two newspaper articles.

When Hilda Lawes was interviewed by the Swindon Advertiser in 1995 she spoke with affection about her childhood, living in Faringdon Road above her parents’ fish shop.

It had taken Ada and Richard Jones a long time to get to Swindon.

Ada was born in 1879 in Canton, Cardiff the daughter of Edward Barrow, a stonemason, and his wife Mary. She married Richard William Amhurst Jones in Cardiff in 1897. Their daughter Ada was born that same year in Cardiff. In 1899 a second daughter Emma was born followed by son Richard William in 1902 when the family lived in Tilehurst, Reading where Richard worked as a Ferryman. The family were soon on the move again and Edna was born in 1905 and Hilda in 1907 in Southampton. They eventually arrived in Swindon where Matilda was born in 1910. By 1911 the family were living at 26 Commercial Road where Richard worked as a fish dealer. The census of that year informs us that they have been married for 14 years and have 6 children who are all living. Their last child, Freda, was born in Stratton St. Margaret in 1912.

Their family complete, their business established, Richard and Ada might have thought they were settled.

The Great War was raging when Richard enlisted in Swindon in November 1915.  He was 41 years of age with a family of seven children to support. His military records reveal that he served in the RAMC as a Motor Driver and Mechanic from 1916 to 1919 in what was then known as German East Africa. During 1916 he was injured in a bomb explosion suffering wounds to his left leg. That year he also contracted malaria. He remained in East Africa until the end of the war, returned to England in January 1919 when he was declared 30% disabled, but still transferred to the Reservists List.

Hilda, then aged 12, remembers him returning from the war and how the family moved to new premises at Faringdon Road.

Despite his injuries, work carried on apace for Richard, but family life sounds as if it was rather fun.

In June 1931 Richard and Ada’s youngest daughter Freda entered the Carnival Queen competition organised by the Evening Advertiser. She was crowned by popular actress Evelyn Laye (who had a Swindon connection) and was presented with a silver rose bowl.

The Swindon Advertiser report includes a fantastic photograph of Richard riding his motorbike with Ada sitting in a wicker sidecar. The second photograph is a grainy picture taken from the North Wilts Herald of their youngest daughter Freda crowned Carnival Queen in 1931.

Ada died aged 63 at 39 Faringdon Road. Her funeral took place on October 13, 1937 when she was buried in Radnor Street Cemetery in grave plot C4490. Richard died aged 65 at 176 Pinehurst Road, the home of his youngest daughter Freda, and was buried with Ada on November 24, 1939.

Many thanks to Helen Diggens

George Watson – greengrocer and florist

Local farmer Elliot Woolford kept a daily diary for more than 50 years and I’m transcribing it for the Friends of Lydiard Park online Lydiard Archives project.

The diaries in which Elliot records life in the small rural parish of Lydiard Tregoze constitute an important social document. Here he discusses everything from the vagaries of the weather to crop failures; from church festivals to village goings-on; the death of Queen Victoria and the end of the war in South Africa. His writing is unaffected and his voice colloquial, the diary was written for his reference only.

In 1911 Elliot brought his produce to Swindon market and delivered to shops in the town centre. One of his regular customers was George Watson who ran a greengrocers and florists at 21 Cromwell Street. In his diary Elliot records their transactions.

Friday April 7: Received 10/6 of Mr G. Watson for rhubarb delivered last week.

Monday May 15: 1 doz Pea sticks to Swindon for Mr G. Watson.

On Friday September 22 it was Mrs Watson who greeted Elliot, paying him £1 10/- for 20 dozen cabbage.

On Saturday September 23 Elliot writes in his diary: Mr G. Watson died last night after a short illness.

George Watson was buried in Radnor Street Cemetery in grave plot E7394. Two days later Elliot writes: Received 43/- of Mrs Watson for cabbage & turnips delivered.

Annie Watson continued to run the shop after the death of her husband.

Saturday October 28: 7/6 worth of cabbage to Mrs Watson and 9 old hens @ 1/3 each.

Annie and George were both in their 40s when they married; there were no children to carry on the business.

In time Annie moved in with her sister and brother-in-law, Susan and George Fowler at 23 Salisbury Street. When George Fowler died in 1929 he was buried in grave plot E7394 with Annie’s husband. Annie died in 1945 aged 80. She was buried with both the Georges.

George Watson’s shop pictured during flooding in Swindon July 25, 1909 published courtesy of Local Studies, Swindon Central Library.

Death of Mr. G. Watson, – At his residence, 21, Cromwell Street, on Friday night, Mr. G. Watson suddenly passed away. Deceased, who was 52 years of age, was a florist, and he had recently been under medical attention for heart trouble, though the end came quite unexpectedly. Mr Watson had lived in Swindon during the last nine years, and was on the executive of the local Horticultural Society. He was also a member of the Ancient Order of Foresters. He leaves a widow, but no children.

The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon. The procession left the house at 3 o’clock and wended its way to St Paul’s Church where the first portion of the service was conducted by the Vicar (the Rev. H.H. Rackham). The cortege then proceeded to the Cemetery, where the Rev. T.L. Mackesy read the concluding portions of the service.

The floral tributes were numerous and handsome and included two artificial wreath inscribed “A token of respect to George Watson from stallholders, shopkeepers, friends and neighbours RIP” and “a tribute of respect from members of the Queenstown Club.”

Extracts from the North Wilts Herald, Friday, September 29, 1911.

William Beames – tired of life

During September I frequently travelled by train from Swindon to Gloucester. It is a relatively short journey, some 45 minutes, through attractive Gloucestershire countryside stopping off at the small stations of Kemble, Stroud and Stonehouse and passing through the Sapperton tunnel.

Sapperton tunnel is, in fact, two tunnels separated by a short gap. Work began in 1839, a difficult building project not finished until 1845. Maintenance work was (and continues to be) ongoing. Back in the day a terrifying place in which to work with poor visibility on a busy rail route.

In 1896 an accident occurred resulting in four fatalities. Was this the accident William Beames witnessed, the effects of which caused his own tragic death later that same year?

This newspaper report contains some disturbing descriptions.

A Suicide’s Death – Tired of Life

Shortly after the above, Mr Browne held an inquest at the Carpenter’s Arms, Gorse Hill Swindon, on the body of William Beames, aged 48 years, a platelayer on the GWR Works, of 86 Bright Street, Gorse Hill. Deceased, it may be remembered, attempted to commit suicide by cutting his throat with a pocket knife at Wootton Bassett, in August last, and although the wound healed up he died on Saturday last from other complaints, after lingering for upwards of three months, his death being accelerated by his own rash act. Mr A. Bowker was chosen foreman of the jury, and the following evidence was taken:

P.S. Goddard, stationed at Wootton Basset, said that on the 17th August last, at about a quarter to seven o’clock in the morning, deceased came to his house and made motions to go into his house. He could not speak. Witness removed an handkerchief he was wearing, and then saw a tremendous gash in his throat. Dr Wride happened to be passing at the time, and witness called him in. The doctor dressed the wound, and gave him some warm milk with a little whisky in it, afterwards telling witness to take the man to the hospital. He (witness) obtained a brougham, and conveyed Beames to Swindon Victoria Hospital, where he was refused admission. Witness then took the sufferer to his home at Gorse Hill. He had previously asked him where he lived, but Beames could not speak, and therefore wrote his name and address on a piece of paper. Witness asked him why he did such a foolish thing, and Beames replied, “Because I am tired of this world.” Afterwards deceased was taken to the hospital at Stratton Workhouse. Witness went the next day to a field where Beames said he had been when he cut his throat, and there saw a large quantity of congealed blood. Witness found a pocket knife in his pocket, which he now produced.

Sarah Beames, wife of deceased, who appeared to be very ill, said her husband had been in a low depressed state since his father’s death in June last. Deceased was a platelayer in the GWR Works. Deceased was also troubled about a platelayer who was killed on the line at Stroud some time ago; he worked in the same gang. Deceased left home on Friday, the 14th August, and she heard no more of him until he was brought home on the following Tuesday. He was in the Workhouse Hospital eleven weeks, and then he was brought home where he was attended by a doctor.

Mr Thomas Hartigan, assistant to Dr Rattray, said he attended deceased up to the time of his death. Previous to that he had been attended by Drs. Wride, Pearmen, and Muir, alternately. He was suffering from a wound in the throat, and bronchitis. He died of dilated heart caused by the bronchitis, accelerated by the injury to his throat. The wound in the throat had quite healed up. The immediate cause of death was heart disease.

The jury returned a verdict accordingly.

Swindon Advertiser Saturday December 19, 1896.

cemetery views (73)

William Beames was 48 years old. He was buried on December 17, 1896 in grave plot C199. This is a public grave. He was buried with five other unrelated persons.

You may also like to read:

Frederick Gee – platelayer

The cemetery chapel windows

When the cemetery chapel was built in 1881 there were few adornments. The non-denominational chapel was designed with elegant simplicity and this extended to the windows. Above the door is situated a rose window, which continues to cast a serene shadow during the sun’s afternoon trajectory. Sadly, this window was damaged by vandals some years ago. The three windows at the east end contain a few panes of subtly coloured glass, and these were also smashed. The four remaining windows are plain.

In 2015 we commemorated the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain along with Swindon Heritage, Paul R. Gentleman Associates and Green Rook. Swindon Remembers was a series of events held across the town, and most especially in Radnor Street Cemetery. We involved primary schools in the area who designed a montage for each of the five windows. We talked to the children about the people buried in the cemetery; the war graves and the two world wars; the GWR and the role of women in the 19th and 20th centuries. We talked about nature in the cemetery, this green oasis in the middle of town, and they encapsulated it all in their designs.

The childrens’ work is still in place eight years later and can be viewed when the chapel is open during our guided cemetery walks.

Join us for the last walk this season on Sunday October 29. Meet at the chapel for 2 pm.

The Second World War by Lethbridge Primary School

Nature of Radnor Street Cemetery by St. Mary’s Primary School

Famous Women by Robert Le Kyng Primary School

The First World War by Goddard Park Primary School

The GWR by King William Street School

You may also like to read:

Battle of Britain commemorations 2015

Radnor Street Cemetery Chapel

Peter Bremner – railway pioneer

If there was a memorial to Peter Bremner, this is where it would be

The common belief is that the early railwaymen who arrived in Swindon in the 1840s are mostly buried in the churchyard at St. Mark’s.

There are a great many burials in that small churchyard; so many that by the 1870s there were extreme concerns that burial space was fast running out. Drainage of the churchyard was also a problem, restricting usage of a large area. All this contributed to the long, ongoing debate about the need for a new burial ground. Eventually resolved in 1880, Radnor Street Cemetery opened in 1881 and soon became the last resting place of many of the old railwaymen.

There are many of their stories told here on the Radnor Street Cemetery blog; this is that of Peter Bremner.

Peter Bremner was born in Dundee in about 1819 and arrived in Swindon around 1848. It is possible the family came straight from France where a daughter Erskine was born in 1847. For more than 35 years Peter lived at 5 Taunton Street at the very centre of life in New Swindon.

Death of a railway official – Our readers, especially the old hands of the GWR Works, will hear with regret of the death of Mr Peter Bremner, who has occupied the position of foreman for many years past, he being one of the earliest arrivals on the establishment of the works. His kindly disposition made him many friends. The funeral will take place this (Saturday) afternoon, at 2-45, and will no doubt be largely attended.

The Swindon Advertiser, Saturday, September 18, 1886.

Funeral of Mr Peter Bremner – The funeral of the late Mr. Peter Bremner, of 5, Taunton Street, New Swindon, took place on Saturday afternoon, admidst many manifestations of the respect and esteem in which deceased was held. For 40 years Mr. Bremner, who had reached the age of 67 years, had been in the service of the GWR Company, and during a great part of that time as foreman, he, at the time of his death, being foreman of the G (Millwrights’) Shop, GWR Works, New Swindon. As a foreman, the deceased was respected by all above and below him, those under his charge especially valuing his good qualities, and he had also obtained the esteem of a large circle of friends. That this was the case was evidenced by the fact that nearly 400 persons joined in the funeral procession on Saturday, and the route was lined with spectators. Mr. F. Hemmings, of Fleet Street, New Swindon, was the undertaker, and he carried out the funeral arrangements in the most satisfactory manner. The coffin was of polished oak, with black furniture, and bore the following inscription:- “Peter Bremner, died September 15th, 1886, aged 67 years. Through the Cross to the Crown.” On the handleplates were the words “Praise the Lord.” A number of beautiful wreaths were contributed, including one from Mrs. Swinhoe, one from Mr. S. Carton and Mr. J. Haydon as “a tribute of respect and esteem from the managers for an old and valued servant,” from Mr. and Mrs McCulloch, Mr and Mrs Batchelor; from the fellow foreman of deceased in the Locomotive Department of the GWR Works; and a magnificent artificial wreath supplied by Mr. Hemmings, from the workmen employed under the deceased. On a card attached to this wreath was the following inscription:- “In affectionate remembrance of Peter Bremner, the much respected foreman of the G Shop, GWR Works, Swindon, this wreath is placed by the workmen formerly employed under him as a mark of the general respect he merited.”

The chief mourners were:- Mr. J. Bremner (son of the deceased), Mr W.D. James (grandson in law) and Mr. E.C. Riley. In the procession were included many of the deceased’s fellow foremen, about 160 of the employes in the G Shop, and many friends. The procession included three carriages in addition to the hearse. The funeral cortege left disceased’s residence at about three o’clock, and proceeded to St. Mark’s Church, where the first portion of the burial service was conducted by the Rev. H.W. Boustead. By way of Church Place, and Cambria Bridge, the procession marched to the cemetery. There was a large number present. The remainder of the burial service having been read, the body was lowered to its last resting place, and after a final look at the coffin the procession returned to Taunton Street, where its members dispersed.

Extracts from the North Wilts Herald, Friday, September 24, 1886.

Peter Bremner died aged 67 years at 5 Taunton Street. His funeral took place on September 18 when he was buried in grave plot A1057 with his wife Annie who had died in February of that same year.

You may also like to read:

James Fairbairn – pioneer railwayman

Robert Laxon – First Secretary of the Medical Fund

Jason Johnson – a homegrown railwayman

George House – a Swindon veteran

George Hemsley – co-founder of the New Swindon Co-operative Society

Fred Tegg – a well known Swindonian

Did Emily stand at this spot? Did she watch the dappled sunlight dance across the headstone? But of course the tree may have been a mere sapling then, like her son who died aged 17. Perhaps she had no time to stand and stare, what is there to ponder on when a son is taken before his time. The headstone may have been a later addition, raised after both she and her husband Fred had gone. There were a lot of words written about Fred (a well-known Swindonian) when he died.

What is there to say when a 17 year old son has been taken. Nothing that is of any comfort.

Death of Mr Fred Tegg

A Well known Swindonian

We sincerely regret to announce the death of Mr Fred Tegg, which took place quite suddenly at his residence, Lyndhurst, Clifton Street, Swindon, on Sunday.

Deceased was in his usual health and attending to his duties last week, and the end came quite suddenly. He was apparently quite well on Christmas Day and on Sunday morning, but in the afternoon of the latter day he was taken suddenly ill, and passed away about half-past two

Mr Fred Tegg was a typical self-made man. Born at Bucklebury, in Berkshire, he came to Swindon some forty years ago, and started work as a carpenter in the GWR Works. By his indomitable courage, he rose to a higher post, and then, coming under the eye of the late Mr Samuel Carlton, then Manager of the GWR Works, he made further headway, being a good shorthand writer. In those days shorthand was little known, and it may be here recalled that the present Mayor of Swindon (Ald. W.H. Lawson) and Mr W. H. Stanier, an ex-Mayor, in addition to Mr. Fred Tegg, were the only shorthand writers connected with the GWR Works at that time. Mr. Tegg was taught shorthand by Miss Wreford, and in after years he did a great deal of reporting for the Swindon Advertiser.

Owing to his great abilities as a stenographer, Mr Fred Tegg made great progress and at the time of his demise he was Chief Clerk to Mr. H.C. King, Manager of the Locomotive Dept. He had completed his term of service, and was about to retire, when the sudden call came.

Mr Tegg was for 12- or 13-years Secretary to the GWR Medical Fund Society, in the work of which he was deeply interested. He was also a prominent Oddfellow being a member of the “Mackie’s Good Intent” Lodge and he was present at a meeting recently. He had held all the high offices, and was a Trustee of the Lodge at the time of his death. He was most popular among all classes, and his death will be deeply mourned by a very large circle.

The Inquest

On Monday last the Deputy Coroner for North Wilts, Mr J.W. Pridham, held an inquest on the body of deceased at the Clifton Hotel. Mr J. Stafford being chosen foreman of the jury.

Evidence was given by Mr. E. Tegg (son of deceased) and Dr. Haddon, and the jury returned a verdict of death from cardiac failure.

Dr Haddon stated that life was extinct when he was called to deceased. Death was probably due to cardiac failure, caused by indigestion.

Impressive Funeral

Amidst many tokens which spoke eloquently of the respect and high esteem in which the late Mr. Tegg was held by all associated with him, the mortal remains of the deceased gentleman were laid to rest in the Swindon Cemetery, at three o’clock on Thursday afternoon. The funeral was an impressive one. Four carriages conveyed the family mourners, and no fewer than 90 gentlemen walked behind. Preceded by a hand bier bearing the many beautiful floral tributes, the cortege proceeded from Mr. Tegg’s late residence “Lyndhurst,” Clifton Street, to the Cemetery Chapel, where the Rev. J.T. Evans (Primitive Methodist minister), assisted by the Rev. H.W. Smith, conducted the first portion of the solemn rites. Later, the Rev. J.T. Evans also officiated at the graveside.

The remains were enclosed in a polished elm coffin with brass furnishings, and the breast-plate born the inscription: Frederick Tegg, died December 26, 1909. Aged 61 years.

Extracts from the Swindon Advertiser, Friday, December 31, 1909

Harry Frederick Hamilton Jerome Tegg was buried in grave plot B1695 on July 10, 1890. Fred Tegg was buried in the neighbouring plot B1694 where Emily joined him when she died in April 1932.

The Woolford family

One of our volunteers recently sent me a photo of a grave she had cleared and tidied up. This angel memorial surmounts the grave of a young child. Bex has a knack of finding graves with a particularly poignant story.

Terence Anthony Woolford was born in July 1930, the first of Reginald and Gladys Woolford’s three children. Reginald Charles Woolford was born in 1904, the son of Charles Woolford who worked as a wheel turner in the railway factory. In 1928 Reginald married Gladys Rose Popham, the daughter of Ernest Popham, a fitter in the railway factory.

Reginald and Gladys were living at 7 Drove Road in January 1936 when their young son was taken ill. He was admitted to the Isolation Hospital where he died. He was 5 and a half years old. His funeral took place in Radnor Street Cemetery on January 20 where he was buried in grave plot C1720.

I am presently engaged in a BIG project transcribing the diaries of a local farmer as part of the Friends of Lydiard Park’s archival work. Elliot Woolford kept a daily diary from 1885 until his death in 1940. No mean feat for a busy farmer with a small team of family members and local labourers working with him.

And then I wondered if there could possibly be any connection between Elliot and this little boy buried in Radnor Street Cemetery.

So far I have traced Elliot’s family back several generations. There have been Woolfords living in the Purton, Lydiard Millicent and Lydiard Tregoze area for at least 600 years. From Robert Woolford who married Susannah Staley in the parish church at Lydiard Millicent in 1757 to “William Woolford of ye parish of Lidyeard Treagoze in the County of Wilts yeoman” who in 1695 left four of his sons William, Benjamin, Nicholas and Oliver, £5 each in his will.

Returning to the story of little Terence Anthony Woolford…

A family historian has placed an extensive Woolford family tree on the Ancestry, website which I navigated with alacrity. At first there were no obvious connections; no farming background for Reginald, no links with the rural Lydiard parishes, but back and back I went. Then I discovered John Woolford born in 1600 in Trowbridge. John married Elizabeth Baker in the church of St. Mary’s, Lydiard Tregoze on February 12, 1621. He died in his adopted parish on February 28, 1674 and was buried in the churchyard there. This John Woolford appears in both little Terence and Elliot Woolford’s family tree.

Thank you Bex for another fascinating find.

Before and after photos.

You might also like to read:

Fanny Ireland Fletcher

William Thomas and a life in the railway factory

William Thomas spent his entire working life in an iron foundry; first in his home town of Llanelly, Breconshire where he worked as a ‘Baller.’ By 1871 he appears on the census returns here in Swindon living at 13 Cambria Place with his wife Cecilia and his two daughters. His job description is ‘rail rougher.’

In 1915 Alfred Williams published a book entitled ‘Life in a Railway Factory.’ It was a controversial book; a warts and all description of working ‘Inside.’ It didn’t go down well with the Great Western Railway where Alfred had worked as a hammerman for 23 years. Today it provides us with a first hand account of what it was really like in the Works at that time.

If you have a railway ancestor who appears on the census returns as a ‘baller’ or a ‘puddler’ and you’ve thought this sounds a rather quaint occupation – well, this is what it involved.

Punchings and drillings are also treated by the process known as “puddling.” In this case, the furnaces will have a cavity in the floor, into which the small scrap material is shovelled or tipped. The door is now made fast and the heat applied, which must not be too fierce, however, or the whole mass would soon be burned and spoiled. When the drillings and chippings have cohered, the puddler, by an aperture through the iron door, inserts a steel bar, curved at the end, and prises the lump and turns it over and over. This is called “balling up.” By and by, when the iron is thoroughly heated and fairly consistent, it is brought to the “shingler,” who soon gives it shape and solidity. 

Alfred Williams writes:

You can always tell these young men of the steam-hammer or rolling mills, whenever you meet them. They are usually lank and thin and their faces are ghastly white. Their nostrils are distended; black and blue rings encircle their eyes. Their gait is careless and shuffling, and their dress, on a holiday, is a curious mixture of the rural and urban styles. On week-days they are as black as sweeps, and the blacker they are the better, in their opinion, for they take pride in parading the badge of their profession and are not ashamed of it as are their workmates who dwell in the town.

William and Cecilia Thomas continued to live in the Welsh enclave around Faringdon Road and Cambria Place. William died in 1899. He was 73 years old and the burial registers describe his occupation as ‘puddler.’ Whether he was still working until the time of his death remains unknown, but it is quite likely.

Cecilia died at her home 4 Park Terrace in 1901 and was buried in grave plot D46 where she joined William. Their beautiful pink granite memorial describes Cecilia (and presumably William as well) as ‘Angels Waiting.’

The cemetery chapel – everything just right

The non-denominational chapel, built to seat 100 people, was never flash. Four angels on the ceiling bosses are the only adornments, a little colour glass in the windows, but I’ll come to that another time. Any hymn singing was probably unaccompanied, the non-conformist ministers leading the mourners.

Look up and marvel at the intricate timber framed roof, a credit to builders Phillips & Powell and George Wiltshire, still weather proof, still doing the job for which it was intended.

Sadly, most of the original pews were removed some years ago. There are a couple still left, showing their age, but able to give us a snapshot of how things once were.

A lectern has survived the ravages of time and the work of vandals. And so have two trestle coffin stands. At first sight they might appear rather tall, but they are just the right height to allow the pall bearers to carefully lower their burden.

Everything perfectly designed, carefully thought out, everything just right.